How to Help
If you are worried and think that someone may be suicidal don't be afraid to do the following:
- Don't hesitate in engaging with them. Let them know that you are concerned for them and ask what you can do to help them. Listen to them and don't panic or be judgemental.
- Ask them are they contemplating suicide. There is a 90% chance that if they are suicidal they will tell you that they are. They more than likely will open up to you once this admission comes and if it feels comfortable you may ask them have they any plans made to end their own life and how they are planning to do so. Once this happens it's amazing how this person will have so much relief and huge burden of their shoulders.
- Come to an agreement as to what steps to take, who to talk to. Maybe get a family member or someone that they trust.
- Help the person to follow-up by bringing them to an agreed person or service. Stay close to them and try to make yourself available to be there to listen and help them through this difficult time.
- Don't ever ever ignore someone that makes suicide threats. Take them very seriously.
- Advise them to stay away from alcohol and drugs.
- Be sure to talk to a professional.
- Always listen & keep relaxed.
- Be sure to look after your on health too.